Here's some of the infantry from my game walking around.
Squads will later be a mix of different types of infantry, submachineguns, heavy weapons, officers etc... but right now they are all the same one for testing.
It's funny, this takes me back to when I used to make mods for Civilization 3. Back then I used to cut and paste the individual frames together manually.
It took hours!!!
These days I know how to code in python, so I wrote a PIL script which puts everything together in seconds, and then another script in blender to cut up the frames and prepare them for animation.
It takes just seconds to get it ready for going in the game. If I don't like how an animation looks I can fix it, re-render and run the scripts right away.
These days being able to code is essential for a game artist I think.
Each frame is 64x64 pixels. There are 4 directions, with 3 of them mirrored to give 7 directions. Just 4 frames direction. Total for 16 different animations: 1024x1024 pixels
Made in Blender for a game in the Blender game engine.
You can read more on my development blog:pickleddevblog.blogspot.kr/